Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Card of the Week - 6/18/14

With the 460-500 point starting pitchers being highlighted this week, I wanted to pick one of them to for the card of the week.  In my season that I am playing with Showdown cards, this pitcher has made three starts.  In those starts, he has a record of 1-2.  In the two losses, he has pitched 11 innings, given up 16 hits, 17 runs, 13 walks, and 3 HR, all while striking out 13.  In the win, he gave up one hit (while walking 6) and struck out 12 in a complete game shutout.  If you feel confident that you can get the advantage when using him, then you may want to take a chance on...

...the 2013 Yu Darvish.  How can you not like a 7 IP pitcher who doesn't give up any hits on his chart and has the most strikeouts of any starter in the 2013 set?  That 2 control will do it.  Darvish appears to be a feast-or-famine card for those players who want to use him.  470 pts seems like a lot for a control 2 pitcher, but if you are up to the challenge, it is a fun card to play with.  I have yet to see an MLB Showdown no-hitter, but I think that of all cards out there, this is the most likely to get it done.

Shameless plug time: check out my season using 2000, 2001, and 2013 MLB Showdown cards at http://mlbshowdownleague.atomicleagues.com/  The season is consisting of four four-game series for each team (one series against each team in a team's respective division), followed by an All-Star game and a playoffs.  The 240 game regular season is over 1/3 complete (81 games done), with stats being tracked and standings updated after I play a game.  We also play with a few custom rules, but mainly use the 2001 official rules when playing.  Follow me on twitter to get updates when games have been played (@RokTikiTiki).

2 comments:

  1. Just had Kershaw throw a no hitter in our showdown season last month. Only gave up 2 walks, could not believe it myself. I gave the other player one control and that player made an out on his card.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find it ironic that you said that, and then Kershaw proceeds to throw a no hitter in real life! I guess I highlighted the wrong starting pitcher this week...

      Delete