Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Card of the Week - 3/5/14

For this 2014 MLB season, I have done something that I have never done before: I purchased MLB.TV.  I figured, 'Go big or go home', so I went with the premium option.  It has been so incredible to watch pre-season games and see some of the guys who I never heard of until I worked on this year's Showdown set actually playing in a game.  I am also excited about the guys who might possibly make a major league squad and I wonder about the possibilities for their 2014 cards.

Now, with week one of the 2014 MLB Showdown blog season is underway, we get to learn all about the first basemen and the years they had last year.  This week, I want to highlight a card that I am probably the most 'on the fence' about than any other card.


The 2013 Eric Hosmer card certainly has its upside.  The high On-Base is definitely a positive, and getting an OB 9 first baseman for less than 300 points is pretty unheard of.  Throw in the fact that he actually helps your defense, and you have some great positives for this card.

The speed B (14) is, to me, a positive here for me as I assume a speed C first baseman, and anything above that is a bonus.

Now, to the negative.  The most glaring number here is '7'.  Everyone who has played Showdown can probably agree that the worst feeling in the game is getting the advantage with your batter, and then getting out.  The Hosmer card has a 30% chance of that happening on the times where he does get the advantage.  Not only that, he has a 15% chance of hitting an Out (GB).  This isn't someone you want coming up in a key situation with a man on first and less than 2 outs.

For me, it will come down to where I stand in the draft.  He is a guy who may fall for the reasons I stated, so if you don't have a better 1B option on the board or if you overpaid early in the draft and are looking to make up some points, this is a good card.  But this isn't a guy I am going to reach for, and I think I would be alright with him on my team.

What are your thoughts on this card?  Comment below or tweet me @RokTikiTiki


No comments:

Post a Comment