Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Card of the Week - 3/19/14

This week, I am taking a suggestion from someone for the card of the week.  Since we are talking shortstops this week, and because I find this year's class of shortstops to be...'eh'....I figured I would take their suggestion and talk about one of the most unusual cards you will ever see in Showdown.

Don't get me wrong; the fact that it is unusual has not stopped people from drafting him over the years.  In fact, this card has been held in such high regard for what it offers that people are not afraid to take him, especially when they are looking for ways to save points.  The card I am talking about is....

...the 2000 Gary DiSarcina.  DiSarcina would spend his entire 12-year MLB career with the Angels.  In 1999, he would appear in only half of his team's games, batting a mere .229 in the process.  He would walk 15 times and single 62 times in 298 plate appearances.  He did add 7 doubles, a triple, and a home run into the mix, but he would only steal 2 bases (while being caught twice).

So where is his value?  Well, for 40 pts, you get a singles hitter (which is a good card with which to use 'Singles Hitter') with average speed and above average defense.  This guy is going to bat 9th in your order, no doubt (assuming AL rules...heck, you might bat him 9th with NL rules).  But where else are you going to get this quality (yet unique) card for the price?

This is a unique card that I have no doubt many of you have used in the past.  Please submit your comments below to tell of how you have used him or why you have stayed away from this card.

1 comment:

  1. "Lean into it" Strategy card. (Allows you to add defense to swing, but a walk turns fielding scores to 0) Makes him more lethal without the advantage than with the advantage (doubles become 16-20 without the advantage). Even better combined with singles hitter or fielding check cards. I would do this and get away with batting him second in my order. Only problem is when he walks you lose the little value he does have. Didn't matter as long as I had someone else on my team capable of playing shortstop.

    ReplyDelete