Thursday, May 23, 2013

#ShotsFriday: Managers
A slightly successful #shotsfriday this week. I am always a fan of homers picking homers so let us all enjoy our favorite work appropriate beverage this morning knowing that Pedro Alvarez hit a ball into the Eddie Zone for @eddiezone44. That is the first of year for both of them. More Pirates to follow I hope. We had lots of picks but only one person on the board last week. We need more predictions. I have set the prize for this year’s winner. This year’s winner gets to pick 3 players cards to be made and added to Showdown world in their honor.


Charlie Manuel – This card is a bit weaker than I anticipated it being. We may go back and beef it up a little bit. I think taking away the “remove Charlie Manuel from the game”. This would let you get 4 card over the course of the game (1 per infielder). Manuel being a firm believer in letting people swing and has gotten big production out of his infielders over the year. I like him for teams trying to mash in stud leagues.

Davey Lopes- Those who have rooted for a Davey Lopes team can attest he can get anyone stolen bases. He got 8 out of Ryan Howard in 2009. He is obviously going to compliment people who have speed and want to steal. He may help the low speed A and high speed B players the most. +3 speed against righties is a very nice bonus. +1 against lefties is nothing to write home about but it is something. The best thing is that it is for every single stolen base attempt. If you steal 4 or 5 times it is like having and extra card every time.

Joe Maddon- What I always hated about playing small ball line-ups was having to load my deck up with runner not helds and protect the runners so I could steal. With Joe Maddon I don’t have to do that. I can carry very specialized that do not deal with stealing bases because all of my cards are runner not helds. Three up, three down once my starter is out of the game? He makes every card in your hand useful in all play styles.

Mark McGwire- The only reason I hesitate making this card is that it is only fair that in leagues of mixed years that forbid multiple copies of the same play he is going to be a casualty. Draft the 00 or 01 first base card first before using Big Mac as a manager. Had to give a shout out to my favorite cards first and foremost. This card does two things which I enjoy. First it eliminates the most frustrating part of the game. Second you still have a chance for big damage. This is not a small ball card. It works with both moneyball and power line ups great.

Terry Francona- He seems to always be able to get people to hit and do so in a way that is crippling to the other team. What I like about this card is that if you can rattle of 6 runs pretty early in the game it puts a little extra pressure on the opposing manager. Since we support stud leagues this card can be crippling. Lets put the hypothetical out there of scoring 6 runs by the 4th inning. Does the opposing manager play there hand out before the end of the 6th and face your bullpen with no help? Or do you save two cards to discard and play all but short handed anyway. He can help take away tools to create theatrics.

Twitterboard
@Jamesmruffin:3
@Roktikitiki:2
@Markrom3: 1
@Eddiezone44: 1



Playerboard
Carlos Beltran:3
Mark Trumbo:2
Justin Upton:1
Pedro Alvarez: 1

No comments:

Post a Comment