Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Card of the Week - 5/6/15

This week's card of the week is another odd card.  It has a lot of downside to it for a Control 6, 16+ pitcher.  But it is because it is such an interesting card that I chose it for this week's CotW.

The 2000PR Denny Neagle card, when you look at the upper right stats, first excites you.  "A Control 6 starter for 350 points?  Nice!"  But there is a reason he is only 350 points.  THREE extra base numbers on his chart, including a homer.  Not very exciting.  However, if you are willing to risk that against a power lineup and say 'I would rather have the advantage and have them have a 5% chance of a homer than give them the advantage and have a 25% chance of a homer', then this card is for you, likely at the bottom of your rotation.  But this card is definitely NOT for me.

Did Neagle ever crack anyone's rotation?  Please share your Denny Neagle stories in the comments below.

3 comments:

  1. I used Denny all the time as my #4 starter! I'd always cap him at 5 innings, and he'd typically hold opponents to 1 run. If he ever gave up back to back extra base hits, I'd pull him and let the bullpen rest when my ace pitched the next game. But yeah, having a tier 2 guy at the bottom of the rotation was killer. I was often up 5-1 or 4-1 after 5 innings, and that was she wrote for the opposition.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pitched his best years with the Pirates. I don't think I ever had this card in my lineup, but as a #3 or #4, he is intriguing to me. Probably would give up some shots, but playing Russian Roulette might be fun if there is not a real gun involved.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved using this guy. Under modified rules for making relievers start and starter relieve, he was my closer for a while. Things kids do...

    ReplyDelete