Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Card of the Week - 10/15/14

I've been having some fun the last couple of CotW posts reminiscing about the original sets.  A couple of weeks ago, I posted about Konerko and Jeter, both of whom have retired, but will have a card in the upcoming set that we are currently in the process of completing.  That got me to thinking about the players who had a card in the original 2000 MLB Showdown set from Wizards of the Coast who will also have a card in our 2014 set (who aren't named Jeter or Konerko).  Those players are:


Jason Giambi
His 2000 foil card was a good card, but I think it got forgotten after his 2001, OB 11 card came out.  Even as I write, this card looks foreign to me as I only got this card to complete my set later and may never have even played with it.  His 2014 will be nowhere near as good as this, but I like seeing Giambi still sticking around.

Adrian Beltre
This is a player whose card in 2014 is going to be better than his original.  He had a good, quality 310 pt card that I really liked, but his OB just keeps improving.  Whether or not it improves upon his 460 pt 2013 card remains to be seen, but it is great to see Beltre still out there having fun.

Bartolo Colon
This was a decent card, but I never really had success with it.  Colon has put on a few pounds since 1999, and he has seen lots of ups and downs in the l5 seasons since.  He won't have as good a card as he had with Oakland in 2013, but it should still find its way onto a few rosters.

Were any of these cards a mainstay in any of your teams?  Is there anyone you think I may have forgotten?  Let me know in the comments below, or send me a tweet @RokTikiTiki

4 comments:

  1. Justin, you are correct. I missed Ibanez.

    Jared, Hudson's 2000 card was Pennant Run, not the original set. I thought about that one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. David Ortiz, but he was pennant run as well.

    ReplyDelete