Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Card of the Week - 10/1/14

Having MLB.TV allowed me to watch back the Zimmermann no-hitter on Monday (no baseball, gotta watch something).  I was shocked to  see F.P. Santangelo doing the TV broadcast.  It brought me back to the good 'ol 2000 showdown set.  It got me thinking about who else might be out there from the original 2000-2001 sets who has found a new career in broadcasting.  I was shocked at how many I found, but I was also able to compile an 'All-MLB-Showdown-2000-2001-Players-Now-In--Broadcasting' team.  And here it is:
C - John Flaherty, Dan Wilson
I always liked Dan Wilson as a player, but the Flaherty card was one of my favorites from the original set.  Great arm doesn't walk, and a decent number of home runs.

1B - Ron Coomer, Sean Casey, Eric Karros
The foil OB 9 Sean Casey is overtaken by the power hitting Eric Karros.

2B - Mark McLemore,  Marlon Anderson
I was a little disappointed in the options at second base here, but the McLemore card is pretty solid here.  Switch-hitter, OB 8, +3 Fielding

3B - Jeff Conine, Cal Ripken Jr., Aaron Boone
Just have to include Ripken on this list.  So much power on this OB 8.

SS - Mike Bordick, Benji Gil, Nomar Garciaparra, Barry Larkin
It was tough to turn down Larkin and his Speed A and SS +5, but this Garciaparra card is just awesome.  If I were using a position player at DH, I would put Garciaparra there and use Larkin as SS.

CF - Preston Wilson, Darryl Hamilton, Randy Winn, FP Santangelo, Doug Glanville
FP Santangelo is a solid card option here, but I decided the upside of the Glanville card was greater.

LF/RF - Paul O'Neill, Luis Gonzalez, Tim Salmon, Jay Buhner, Matt Stairs
I could have used Santangelo here, but I liked the Salmon card here more.

Util - Jeff Huson, Craig Counsell

P - Curt Schilling, John Smoltz, Al Leiter, Tom Glavine, Jamie Moyer, David Cone, Mark Mulder, Brian Anderson, Tim Belcher, Steve Sparks
It was a close race, and tough to leave David Cone off of the list, but I like these four over Cone and Moyer (Glavine gets the nod over Moyer because of the one GB vs FB)

RP - Mike Stanton, CJ Nitkowski, Mike Fetters
Nitkowski is one of my favorite reliever cards, but all three are pretty solid.

CP - Jeff Montgomery, Jeff Brantley
Montogomery wins the battle of aweful closers named Jeff.

Be sure to comment or tweet to @RokTikiTiki with you opinions of who you think should have made the team instead.

Names of broadcasters taken from:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_current_Major_League_Baseball_broadcasters

2 comments:

  1. Great list, did not realize so many of today's broadcasters were from the 2000-01 set. I personally loved Nitkowski, he always found a place on my All Star team bullpen, especially since I never owned Nen, Wagner, or Hoffman. If I remember correctly, I believe I obtained Curt Schilling from the Guru himself in a trade in like 6th or 7th grade. I forget who I gave up, but I just remember being mesmerized by the 6 control and 8 IP.

    I didn't count the points, but this team would win a lot of games if it was drafted in a cap league drawing from the 2000/01 pool.

    ReplyDelete