Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Card of the Week - 9/24/14

I know that I have missed a few weeks, but life has been busy.  I didn't even really realize that it was Wednesday the last two weeks and didn't want to post on Thursday, that just seemed wrong....

Anyway, there are two cards that I want to highlight this week, and they are both from the original WOTC cards.  I am highlighting them because this Sunday will be the last game played for two players who have been the face of their respective franchises for the past 10+ years.

The 2000 Derek Jeter card was my second favorite of the 'Big 3' shortstop cards from 2000.  I wasn't keen on Nomar's +1 fielding rating, but A-Rod's power, speed, and fielding were just too good not to like.  He saw a decline from his 2000 to his 2001 card in terms of his chart and his fielding, while the other two shortstops both saw big boosts to their cards (who didn't want the '01 PR Alex Rodriguez?!?!).  While the Yankee's aren't technically eliminated as of this writing, a loss the rest of the way or a win by Kansas City and they are done.
When he retires after their game Sunday, Paul Konerko will have hit the second most home runs in White Sox history (behind my favorite player of all time, Frank Thomas).  In fact, he is one of only two players to hit 400+ homers as a member of that franchise.  He will also be second in RBI, third in hits and doubles, and fourth in runs scored.  He was MVP of the 2005 ALCS, the year the White Sox last won the World Series.

This weekend, be sure to remember what these two players have meant to their teams and the game of baseball for the past 15+ years.

2 comments:

  1. Oddly enough I feel sadder about Konerko retiring than Jeter. Maybe it has to do with the media coverage...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Always thought it was weird Jeter was only a speed B in 2000. I am glad we distinguish between super fast speed A (23) and fast but not lightning speed A (18).

    ReplyDelete