Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Card of the Week - 7/23/14

I had planned on a different card for the Card of the Week this week, but after seeing the events of the past 24 hours unfold, I had to change my mind.

In the first big trade leading up to the deadline, the Yankees traded away their best player from the month of April (a player who faded since then and had been demoted) Yangervis Solarte for a player who had once been the future of the Padres franchise,...


...Chase Headley.  His 2013 card will likely be his last ever in a Padres uniform, and it is a decent card.  You get a fairly light hitting OB 8 3B+2 Speed B Switch hitter.  All of those are very middle of the road, but I think that this is a good option for several lineups.  The Moneyballers will stay away from the OB 8.  The Smallballers won't be fans of the speed B.  Power players will be turned off by his lack of power and overall...averageness (I think I just invented a word).  To me, this looks like a solid choice for Pingers.  Pingers would prefer an OB 9 here, but the cost is what you would look for and what you lose in OB, you gain in a pretty decent chart (I like that he reaches on a 4 and doubles on a 16).

Love or hate the Yankees, I think that this was a decent move for both teams, and it was great to see Headley win the game for the team from the Bronx in walk-off fashion in his first game with the club.  If you haven't seen it, check it HERE.

No comments:

Post a Comment